Monday, February 9, 2009

Heading to Philadelphia

Weight: 203.8 pounds.

My spouse and I are heading to Philadelphia in a few minutes for his follow-up after having some surgery. The weather is beautiful! Coming into spring makes me feel very hopeful.

As much as I would have scoffed at the idea of Seasonal Affective Disorder a few years ago, I find myself affected to some degree in winter. The world is very hopeful in the springtime. It is a time of change, of regrowth, rebirth and new appearances. It is shedding the winter and beginning anew.

While I may not be able to get a walk in today because of being busy, I certainly will get outside several times this week to enjoy the temperatures in the 40s and 50s after spending much of January in the 10s and 20s.

I also like contemplating the idea of bicycle commuting in the spring, once I get some solid training under my belt. It would be a serious undertaking -- a very hilly and challenging 16 miles. But if I can work up to bike commuting twice a week, that would be 64 miles. I may need to look into the option of parking my car at a halfway point to start out with because of the hills along the route.

I had rode my bike to work several times before we bought our first house and moved farther away from work. Now it's a much more challenging route because it's 7 miles longer and MUCH hillier. I am very fortunate in that my workplace offers a secure space to lock bicycles as well as showers and lockers.

Those are my thoughts on this day that is a preview of the spring to come.

1 comment:

Nicole Thomas said...

I just found your blog. I'll be checking in! ;)